Discomfort in your hip affects your daily routine and will force you to take a leave from work or skip your classes. Perhaps, you will also miss attending your friend’s birthday party. Although hip pain is a common occurrence for people, exceeding the bearable pain may indicate that you need hip replacement surgery in Singapore. There are three common reasons people need to undergo surgery: osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and osteonecrosis (avascular necrosis).
If your doctor diagnosed you with one of these conditions, don’t hesitate to schedule a follow-up appointment and ask whether you need an invasive procedure. Only this way you can come back to your everyday life. Now, if you’re still wondering about the surgery, here are the obvious signs you need to undergo hip replacement surgery.
Obvious Signs Your Body Needs a Hip Replacement Surgery
Procrastinating is not an option when it comes to your health and well-being. Once you feel pain, it’s a clear sign you need to consult a doctor to give you a proper diagnosis. Doctors can also give you adequate treatment procedures like hip replacement surgery and total hip arthroplasty in Singapore. To help you become more aware, here are the obvious signs you need to undergo surgery.
- Pain When Walking – A simple walking routine is painful, and it seems like you can’t even go around your house. If this persistently happens, you need to consult a doctor because you might be a good candidate for hip replacement surgery in Singapore.
- Limited in Motion – When doing easy activities such as wearing clothes or standing up feels painful, it is an obvious sign that you have limited mobility. It is because you have a stiff joint, and sometimes the only solution is surgery. So, visit an orthopaedic clinic to check on your condition.
- Weak Joints or Hips –Due to accident or wear and tear, you may experience instability in your common area. For this reason, simple activities such as walking and jogging can be challenging. If this continues, consult an orthopaedic and ask if you suffer from a hip labral tear in Singapore.
- Swelling Around the Hips – Swelling around the hips indicates internal damage. There might be increased friction between your joints. If it feels too painful, consult a doctor immediately to give you an appropriate treatment.
- Limping Legs – Problems in your joints will make your legs weak. As a result, you’ll limp when walking or standing. Limping legs risk falling or tripping because you have no lower body strength. To regain control, visit a doctor and ask if you’re a good candidate for hip replacement surgery in Singapore.
If the doctor says you’re good to go for surgery, you also need to know what you need to do after the procedure. This way, you can ensure a faster recovery and prevent more complications.
What to do After Your Hip Replacement Surgery
After your hospital discharge, you’ll be sent home. But, it doesn’t mean you can return to your daily activities immediately. You still need to take care of yourself and track your recovery progress for months or even years. It may take time to recover after your hip replacement surgery because you need patience and determination. For stronger joints, here’s what you need to do after the surgery for post-op care.
1) Prepare Your Home
As you leave the hospital, you still need to adjust your living situation to make your life more convenient. If you have a friend or family member who can arrange the home for you, that’s good. If not, you can hire a nurse to help you organise your room. Here’s how you can arrange your home to make your life easier after hip replacement surgery or even shoulder rotator cuff repair.
- Rearrange the furniture – Since you’ll have limited movements, you can arrange large furniture and put them away in the meantime. This way, it will be easier for you to move around the house.
- Place Frequently Items Within Easy Reach – Items like remote control, glasses, phones, charge, and water containers should be within easy reach. Put them beside your bed so you can get them conveniently. It would be helpful, especially if you have a frozen shoulder in Singapore.
- Remove Rugs and Electrical Cords – These items may cause slippery floors. So, better remove them to limit your obstacles when moving around after your total hip arthroplasty.
- Buy a Comfortable Chair and Bed – To make your recovery process faster, you can also find a comfortable chair and bed. Due to this, you can have a safe place to take a rest at home.
- Grab Bars in Bathrooms – Bathrooms have slippery floors because they are wet. For this reason, you need to have grab bars for support when taking a bath or relieving yourself. It is to ensure the safety of your hip replacement surgery in Singapore.
2) Wound Care Routine
Of course, after your hip replacement surgery, there would be wounds around the joint area. Indeed, it takes time to take care of those wounds, so make sure you are familiar with the wound care routine. So, before you leave the hospital, ask your doctor about the proper way to handle your wounds, especially if you’re feeling any pain.
You need to ensure that the wound area is clean and dry. You can use wound care products like Betadine and gauze to limit the bleeding. You can also find a waterproof dressing so you can wear them while showering. Finally, don’t forget to notify your doctor if you feel like the wound is worsening.
3) Medication and Diet
After your hip replacement surgery and shoulder rotator cuff repair, you must also alter your medication and diet. Your doctor might require you to take vitamins and supplements to improve your overall health. Although there’s not much restriction, choosing fruits and vegetables is better to regain strength. Also, drink enough water and avoid drinking alcohol in the meantime.
If you need to undergo a hip replacement surgery, only trust reliable clinics like Advanced Orthopaedic and Sports Centre in Singapore. You can visit their website to learn more about the hip labral tear,frozen shoulder,and other common joint issues.