JRD Tata Scholarship or JN Tata Endowment Scholarship is awarded by Sir Dobaji Tata Trust. The scholarship is in the form of a loan which needs to be paid back, unlike scholarships abroad. The scholarship may not cover the full cost of studying. It ranges from 1 lakh to 10 lakh. The availability of loan amount depends on predetermined rules and regulations. It is a scholarship by the TATA group. Some selected scholars may get gift scholarship and travel assistance. A gift scholarship for an amount of Rs 7.5 lakh and a travel grant of Rs 50,000 may be given. But that depends on the discretion of the trustees.
Students must fulfil the eligibility criteria for Tata Scholarship if they want it. Eligibility criteria are:-
- Applicants must be Indian Citizen.
- They must be graduates and have scored at least 60% in the last examination.
- Students in the final year may also apply.
- Candidates can apply even if they haven’t got admission letters. But later need to update their application when admission is confirmed.
- Mid-career professionals can apply for postgraduate, doctorate or PhD programs.
Some other criteria and regulations for JRD Tata Scholarship are:-
- Apart from academic performance, importance to co-curricular and extra-curricular activities are given.
- A good GMAT/GRE score is necessary.
- The statement of purpose is necessary.
- There will be various tests conducted for the scholarship.
Selection criteria for Tata Scholarship
The Tata Scholarship or scholarships abroad is granted to students who go for pursuing higher studies abroad. The selection process is very rigorous and is as follows:-
- The student going abroad must have a good GRE/GMAT score and must have a great score in IELTS or TOEFL.
- The candidates intending to study abroad must give an online
- Candidates who qualify the interview will be asked to mail scanned copies of documents.
- Interview must be given by the selected candidates. The interview involves questions about their field of study.
- The selection procedure is based on a composite score in the interview process, online test, IELTS and GRE/GMAT score.
The selection of scholars for loan scholarship is based on the following criteria:
- Performance at the interview
- Score at the online test
- Score based on academic results, GRE/GMAT/IELTS/TOEFL scores, Co-curricular and statement of purpose, extra-curricular activities, work experience and research work.
Candidates who are shortlisted for an interview must be present in person or through Skype. The interview is conducted either in person at Mumbai or through Skype. It carries the most weightage in the selection process of the scholarship. Candidates should remain prepared with detailed knowledge of subjects and chosen areas of interest with any specialisation. They will be examined in technical knowledge, and the greatest weightage will be given to the depth of understanding of the chosen area of study and career path. There will be two interviewers, one is a subject-expert, and the other is the director of the scholarship.
If a candidate is selected, then he/she must come accompanied by a guarantor. The candidate and the guarantor, (a parent or a relative having the capacity of repaying the loan) will have to visit the administrative office of the loan scholarship to complete the necessary formalities. It should be done after obtaining the visa. They will be required to sign a legal agreement with trustees and provide evidence of the capacity of the loan repaying capacity of the guarantor for repaying the loan.
Candidate must repay the loan in five instalments of twentyper cent of the loan amount between the third and seventh year. Candidates must repay the loan earlier than year three if they have started earning.