Rehabilitation After Water Damage: Advice, Operation, And Insurance

Following water damage in an apartment or the common areas of a condominium, the damage can be significant, and the restoration of the premises may require a significant financial investment. 

However, thanks to insurance compensation, restoration after water damage can be done at a lower cost. Here are a few tips on what to do after water damage in a condominium.

The Search For The Leak After A Water Damage

When the water leak comes from the condominium’s common parts, it is often difficult to find someone willing to take the initiative to find the source of the leak. Indeed, the person contacting a professional to find the leak is generally the one who pays the bill following the intervention. 

This role must then be assumed by the co-ownership trustee, whose mission is to take care of the building’s management and conservation. To take care of contacting a professional for the search for a leak, it is necessary to warn him of the water damage. The distribution of costs is then made between the different co-owners.

In addition, be aware that most insurance contracts cover the search for a leak. However, compensation will only be effective for a claim covered by the insurance contract.

Determining the origin of the water damage also makes it possible to identify the responsibilities of each, which is essential for the declaration of loss to be made to the insurer. 

However, it is not always possible to identify the origin of the claim without a professional’s presence. In the event of water damage, to identify the origin of the leak, it is possible to turn to a local restoration company.

Turn Off The Water In A Dwelling Where The Inhabitants Are Absent

When the water damage comes from another dwelling, it sometimes happens that the inhabitants are not present during the disaster and cannot reach them. Turning off the water can then be complicated when there is no water meter outside the home. We, therefore, advise you to contact the caretaker of the building or the co-ownership trustee.

Indeed, one of these people can sometimes hold a set of keys, allowing access to the accommodation while the water is turned off. If you cannot find anyone to open the accommodation, the only solution to cut the water in the affected accommodation is to contact the fire department. Indeed, they have the necessary authorizations to force the door of the apartment and cut the water.